This is the first in an occasional series on hunger and food insecurity issues in our nation, in Kansas, and in Butler County.
For more information, check out Kids Need to Eat, founded to address these issues in our community.
Test Your Knowledge: THE HUNGER QUIZ
True or False? [answers below]
1. One in six Americans do not have access to enough food.
2. Most persons who experience hunger are homeless and out of work.
3. Few children experience hunger because there are programs to care for them.
4. Most persons in low income households would be fine if they just worked harder.
5. Even college educated adults struggle with issues of hunger in this country.
6. Lack of adequate nutrition only affects a child’s growth.
7. In school, children living in food-insecure households perform just as well as children who have enough nutrition daily.
8. More than 2 million rural households experience food insecurity.
9. Urban counties have the highest poverty rates in the U.S.
10. Nearly 49 million Americans don’t have dependable, consistent access to enough food due to limited money and resources.
• Hunger is a reality for 1 in 6 people: including hard-working adults, children, and seniors who are forced to go without food due to limited resources.
• Hunger is not an issue just for the homeless and those living in poverty. In the Feeding American Network, 36 % of households served have at least one working adult.
• Lack of resources prevents nearly 49 million people from getting enough food.
• 17 million children live in food-insecure households. Hunger affects their physical, cognitive and behavioral development.
• Children in food-insecure households are likely to experience fatigue and difficulty learning in school. School lunch programs help but don’t solve the whole problem.
• Insufficient nutrition puts children at risk for illness and weakens their immune system. In adults, it can contribute to physical illness and mental health problems.
Answers: 1. True. 2. False. 3. False. 4. False. 5. True. 6. False. 7. False. 8. True. 9. False. 10. True.