Augusta’s service men’s honor board was placed on the north side of the Penley Hardware building. It contained over 200 names.
The Gazette was being mailed to places all over the globe. It was following soldiers, sailors, coast guardsmen, and private citizens to their battle stations and overseas jobs. Every day Gazettes were leaving the office bound for China, India, North Africa, England, the South Seas, South America, Hawaii, and Central America.
Arthur Lamar Sprague of Augusta and in the Coast Guard, was reported to be a Japanese prisoner of war in the Philippines.
60 YEARS AGO
Mr. and Mrs. Stanley R. Robinson and two daughters had moved here from El Dorado. They would reside at 1417 Starkey and Mr. Robinson was the owner of Robinson Electric.
John Bruce Bourget celebrated his seventh birthday with a western-themed party. Refreshments of cake and ice cream were served before he and his guests attended a cowboy movie at the Isis Theatre.
Real estate ads: 2 bedroom house on Moyle, $8,500; 3 bedroom house on Washington Lane, $15,500.
50 YEARS AGO
For the second time within a few months, burglars hit Mel’s Superette at 1239 State St. Thieves cracked the safe and made off with around $2,000.
Charles Simpson had moved his Western Auto store to State and Sixth.
Too much heating was coming from the radiators in the City Council chambers so every cooling device available was used in an endeavor to cool the room during a council meeting. Windows were opened, portable fans were turned on and even the window air conditioner was turned on.
Cindy Graham, a Lincoln School fourth grade student, was unable to attend class so the “Home-School Telephone” was being used for the first time in the Augusta school system.
40 YEARS AGO
An estimated crowd of 300 people attended a public meeting on land acquisition for the proposed El Dorado Lake.
Paul’s Pantry, a grocery store owned by Paul Wilkins, was opening in the North Star Center on N. Ohio St.
Steve Lietzke and Jeff Elliot won first place in their divisions in the Augusta Invitational Wrestling Tournament.
30 YEARS AGO
The idea of painting the water tower with school colors - orange and black - was being discussed among city officials and school officials.
Gasoline prices were 98.9 cents per gallon.
Dr. Everett Johnson and Duane Pangrac, both elected to the local school board in 1979, announced they were not seeking re-election in the April election.
Lakecrest Bible Baptist Church, 1709 Socony, was celebrating its 29th anniversary.
20 YEARS AGO
The Augusta Orioles claimed their first-ever victory at Buhler by defeating the Crusaders, 55-51.
Icy weather closed schools and was blamed for a number of car accidents in town.
The Board of Education was discussing plans for the new central kitchen, a project that was part of the $14,25 million facility improvement issue approved by voters the previous fall.
10 YEARS AGO
St. James Catholic School students and staff were preparing to move into their new building on E. Belmont in March. The new school was four times larger than the old school at 30 Cliff Dr.
Clint and Cherie Headley of Augusta, had signed a contract to purchase the St. James Catholic church building, rectory, pastoral center and parking area. The Headleys were looking to be the only locally owned and operated funeral home in Augusta.
Butler County rancher Kenneth King had died at age 72. King was a former BOE member and president for USD 205 Bluestem, Kansas Representative for the 77th District and had served for 20 years. He had also served as a director for Prairie State Bank.